Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-13 20:29:23, last edited by mutantdevle (2018-05-15 05:18:27)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

The invisible layer.

Currently, there are 2 layers in EE:

The foreground layer - blocks, action blocks and decorations.
The background layer - just for backgrounds.

But I'd argue that a 3rd layer could be hugely beneficial to EE. This layer being the invisible layer. This layer would contain all the invisible gravity AND the invisible block. Note, I don't mean secret blocks in general, just the entirely invisible block that you can only see the outline of in god mode.

Now, you might be wondering what the uses of such a layer would be. If that's the case then you probably don't use a lot of decorations when building. But I'll explain some of the uses, plus extended uses, anyway.

*please note that I have given the invisible block a red outline so that it is easier to see.

First of all, by being able to place invisible things on decorations you are able to enhance their visual effect.

For example, there's been many instances when I've seen people build prison cells like this:
rpQnm0t.png
But what if you could make the bars an actual block?
QCBjbug.png
Now you can put bars on your escape from prison worlds without fear of your prisoners escaping!

There are also times when decoration blocks look like you can stand on them. Well now you can actually make this so. Take this example:
neqcM42.png
You can now allow people to safely walk across decoration blocks.

Also, when I first saw the garden pack, I thought the stalk in that was a solid block. Fun fact: it's not. But it could be:
4qhOldV.png
Now you have to climb over that stalk. Note that by putting this block on a separate layer you can turn 1-way blocks into solid blocks whilst keeping their aesthetic.

But what if I want to literally climb over it? Well, you can now do that too.
6oRixJl.png

In fact, you can now turn anything you want into a climbable!
C8xh7Y4.png
aNk1DIB.png

Another way you can improve the visuals of your world is that you can place invisible portals on top of decorations!
wPCYesd.png
vAdThjd.png
This portal could then teleport a player back to a checkpoint. Now your monsters can have actual teeth instead of spikes. No more having to use spikes or not use decorations at all if you want your in-game art to 'hurt' the player.

Furthermore, this would also enable you to place invisible blocks and portals in water and other liquids. Previously, it would be incredibly obvious if you did this. However, now they can truly be invisible.

Additionally, when the gravity changing effect first came out, it was suggested that liquids could have their direction changed to suit the gravity. Well by placing invisible arrows in the liquids, now you can!
3OMTG71.png

But the REAL reason we all want this to be a new layer is that we want to take our crown bait 1 block further.
QfwrPhx.png
Now we'll never know if you really can get the crown.

In my opinion, this would probably be the 2nd most useful addition to EE. The first, of course, being vision blockers.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#2 2018-05-13 20:31:06

PTU
Formerly Pipec

Re: The invisible layer.

Looks cool //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/tongue

M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png

UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png

#3 2018-05-13 21:11:54, last edited by LukeM (2018-05-13 21:12:14)

LukeM
Website

Sounds like a good idea, but I think maybe going about it another way may be better:

Having invisible blocks / arrows in solid blocks doesnt make sense (and applying two sets of physics sounds painful to implement so the arrows in water etc may cause difficulties anyway), so maybe having a decoration layer would be better. This would also be better fitting imo ('why can I place blocks on top of invisible arrows but not normal arrows?'), and would allow for a lot of useful things that this wouldn't as well, even if it would remove a couple of possibilities.

E.g. You could make things like grass into a decoration instead of a seperate block so it could be placed on all blocks rather than just ones that have been added.
You could also have new 'texture' decorations which would be an overlay that adds things like moss or cracks to blocks

The main problem with this is that we already have huge problems with worlds not saving, so adding a completely new layer would be like increasing the world size by 50%, making it even easier to pass the limit. This may no longer be a problem in the remake though, as I think they are planning to move away from playerIO, so maybe this could be added then.

#4 2018-05-13 21:15:23

Yonanoke
Formerly Glaauber
Website

This idea is incredible for perfecting playthrough.

In-game arts

友達をまだ忘れていません。
Our memories will always belong to Everybody Edits

Wooted by:

#5 2018-05-13 22:39:30

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

LukeM wrote:

Sounds like a good idea, but I think maybe going about it another way may be better:

Having invisible blocks / arrows in solid blocks doesnt make sense (and applying two sets of physics sounds painful to implement so the arrows in water etc may cause difficulties anyway), so maybe having a decoration layer would be better. This would also be better fitting imo ('why can I place blocks on top of invisible arrows but not normal arrows?'), and would allow for a lot of useful things that this wouldn't as well, even if it would remove a couple of possibilities.

E.g. You could make things like grass into a decoration instead of a seperate block so it could be placed on all blocks rather than just ones that have been added.
You could also have new 'texture' decorations which would be an overlay that adds things like moss or cracks to blocks

The main problem with this is that we already have huge problems with worlds not saving, so adding a completely new layer would be like increasing the world size by 50%, making it even easier to pass the limit. This may no longer be a problem in the remake though, as I think they are planning to move away from playerIO, so maybe this could be added then.

I kinda wanna be able to place invisible portals in water though :3

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#6 2018-05-14 20:38:46

HeyNK

this would end the game forever and destroy everything WORST SUGGESTION DO NOT IMPLEMENT --- would RUIN EVERYTHING make it beta only 500 gems then only good players and rich peopel cun use it dont let the average player get this this KILLS THE EE COMMUNIUTY INSTANTLY

WORST SUGGESTION DO NOT IMPLEMENT - hEYNK

Hidden text

Wooted by:

#7 2018-05-15 04:56:48

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

awful idea, i love it

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by: (2)

#8 2018-05-15 07:02:33

peace

the arrows in water just should ONLY chnage the water direction rest of all VERY GOOD IDEA A+ bro

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#9 2018-05-27 17:10:34

Aetherii

I was thinking this as well, hope it gets added

//ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/tongue

#10 2018-05-27 17:45:24

Kirby

invisible anything is awful why would you want this

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2018-05-28 09:48:18

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Kirby wrote:

invisible anything is awful why would you want this

Kirby don’t you see this topic is just a disguise for wanting to make better looking enemies in my Mario world series?

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

mutantdevle1527497298707837

Board footer