Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-20 00:34:06

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

The future of Everybody Edits Offline, and how we can help it.

People can debate whether EEU will succeed but I'm all about preserving EE's many worlds. Ever since that one topic in 2018 I've seen the staff take steps to do this. The Staff have announced EE Offline and the world download feature, and LukeM has every single world archived. This is an even better situation than I asked for. Thank you so much for all the help.

As you may know, EEO is a side-project with only one developer, cercul1 who seems to be unable to work on it right now. It's planned to be a watered down version of EE, continuing to use Flash which is discontinuing support in web browsers. As a result, this means EEO will be download-only. Understandably the staff's focus will be on EEU, so EEO will probably not have any new features besides maybe built-in campaign worlds.

Besides the hugely delayed development, there are some minor problems with this.

First of all it won't work in web browsers. This will make it less convenient to play. Sure it may be harder to port it to JavaScript than to keep it in Flash, but this is a one-time transition effort. I've already recreated horizontal smiley movement in JavaScript, and if for some reason my stubborn brain gave up I'm sure users could collaborate to move EE to something web friendly.

Secondly, it misses the potential of EEO. EE in its current format is designed to be played long-term, with accounts that get items and complete campaigns. It's obvious why all the worlds and accounts are being left behind, but it doesn't mean we have to abandon all possible multiplayer options. The name itself "Everybody Edits Offline" is limiting, by suggesting there can't be any online functionality in it. Here are just a few ideas for features:

• Players could make peer-to-peer server, or there could even be a small server that doesn't save accounts or worlds but allows multiplayer and eelvl uploading. This way people can play EE worlds in multiplayer the way they always have, but if they want the active EE experience they can go play EEU. And I doubt a small server without any saved content would cost much to host.

• ID-to-eelvl downloader and player. Once EE levels are kept in a stable, fan-maintained archive, EEO itself could connect to to this archive to get eelvl data instantly and transform it into the level. Going back to web browser support, level URLs such as the world ID links could go directly to EEO, triggering a special script to fetch the matching eelvl data from the archive.

• Remix Mode. Players can go into worlds, select an area and create a Remix Area out of it, adding a spawn point, goal, and maybe hazards and such if they see fit. In Remix Mode, players will cycle through Remix Areas from various worlds, competing in them with limited-time challenges (probably racing). Once enough players win a new round begins and the next Remix Area is selected. This could make even boring or tedious levels fun to play with enough creativity.

That's not even mentioning all the possible offline features. Asset swapping, TAS support, custom campaigns, visual filters, support for various versions and modding of EE physics, etc. As we head into EEU this could be the definitive EE clone to end all the debates over the content or accessibility of EE, finally marking an open-ended finale to all possible suggestions of EE as it is now in the hands of the players. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The staff's plans for EEO are at the bare minimum, and Xeno has expressed that he would be willing to accept help from fans. If we can develop EEO quicker or better than the current staff, we can help the staff who are currently developing at a snail's pace. I don't know the details, or if we're even going to collaborate, but for now here's a goal to work towards:

Make Everybody Edits Offline playable in a web browser.

#2 2020-04-20 00:43:58, last edited by Pqwerty (2020-04-20 00:44:44)

Pqwerty

Re: The future of Everybody Edits Offline, and how we can help it.

This could be a better pursuit than EEW

I have limited coding experience, is there something I can do? Or is this directed at programmers only?

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2020-04-20 01:11:34

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Pqwerty wrote:

This could be a better pursuit than EEW

I have limited coding experience, is there something I can do? Or is this directed at programmers only?

As far as making this goes, I don't imagine there's much that could actually be done besides programming and testing it. All the default assets are here. The only other thing I could think of is research, by finding older client versions or old textures for referencing optional features. I've tried a bit myself and found quite a few old versions to reference so I doubt there will be much more work needed here. I guess you could say this is directed at programmers but I put the topic itself in Game Discussion for whatever reason.

If you want to learn programming, I suggest messing around with JavaScript. It's easy to work with since it fits in your web browser. There's no proper organized project for this topic yet, so you could even be the one to make it. (I considered beginning some open-source project but I feel like I'll do something wrong with my coding or be too insistent it be mod-compatible.)

#4 2020-04-20 01:16:20

Pqwerty

I know how to code stuff, I just don't know how to program a game if that makes any sense.

#5 2020-04-20 02:02:39

Minimania
Moderation Team

I have 0 experience with coding but I ask that it remain possible to add new textures into the game or otherwise upload texture packs like in Minecraft. Might make it much more interesting to download worlds with custom textures. I know it's probably asking a bit too much, but as always, my graphics are available for use for free to anyone who wants to work on this project

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by:

#6 2020-04-20 02:31:05

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

is this some kind of advanced ****

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2020-04-20 04:55:51

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

- You vastly overestimate how much EEO people will be playing. This amount of work cannot be justified.
- The entire point of EEO is that it doesn’t need to be maintained. The TLDR for the OP is basically “Don’t discontinue EE”.
- “Make Everybody Edits Offline playable in a web browser.” - can you spot the irony in that sentence? You’re only asking for a third version of EE.
- Who is “we”? Everyone qualified to be a developer has already been one. I suppose we’ll pull someone out of the same hat that the new owner will come from.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#8 2020-04-20 05:55:51, last edited by N1KF (2020-04-20 06:14:33)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

edit: I made a response to Tomahawk's post responding to each point on its on. In case you dont want to read it I put in a spoiler.

Hidden text

#9 2020-04-20 14:31:43

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

inb4 as3 -> js

#10 2020-04-20 23:06:56

den3107

N1KF wrote:

Being usable in a web browser doesn't mean it's online. Your web browser probably supports the ability to load offline HTML pages and other files. And if we're talking more practically, website pages are usable in the browser even if connection to the internet is lost, which can include the games on them. EE always needs online access to play, but EEO wouldn't, making it an offline game. It might not technically be offline in the way people think, but if that's a problem then just rename the game

OP says it'll be less convenient if we can't play it in the browser, but what exactly is the difference between having to double-click a .html file to run the game vs a .exe file?
At most you could use the auto-complete function of your browser to type in "file:" and get the EE html file, but you can just as well setup something similar for your desktop (make a shortcut in an easy to reach place, or make sure it's indexed so you can just press the windows key follow by "everybody edits", which I'd say is much more convenient).

#11 2020-04-20 23:23:07

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

den3107 wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Being usable in a web browser doesn't mean it's online. Your web browser probably supports the ability to load offline HTML pages and other files. And if we're talking more practically, website pages are usable in the browser even if connection to the internet is lost, which can include the games on them. EE always needs online access to play, but EEO wouldn't, making it an offline game. It might not technically be offline in the way people think, but if that's a problem then just rename the game

OP says it'll be less convenient if we can't play it in the browser, but what exactly is the difference between having to double-click a .html file to run the game vs a .exe file?
At most you could use the auto-complete function of your browser to type in "file:" and get the EE html file, but you can just as well setup something similar for your desktop (make a shortcut in an easy to reach place, or make sure it's indexed so you can just press the windows key follow by "everybody edits", which I'd say is much more convenient).

Playing the game after downloading onto the computer is slightly less convenient than playing it in a browser. That's not a problem on its own, but generally I think a lot more people will hesitate to play if it doesn't work in a webpage itself. Recoding the game into JavaScript is a one-time hurdle that also allows for other changes to be made to the code, such as allowing new blocks through JSON. In addition, making it HTML compatible means the original EE can have extended support for websites like Kongregate which would make EEO much easier to find.

Wooted by:

#12 2020-04-21 08:57:42

peace

yeah somesort of EEO on kong annd on EE.com itself aswell even if its only just ofline poeple will find it will create some worlds and wiht kognregate sharing system peopel will be able to share worlds othe rpeople can try!

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#13 2020-04-21 10:44:48

skullz17

This just sounds like fan maintained EE, but without accounts. A server just to allow multiplayer and uploading worlds would probably be small, but then you say you want to host a big database of all the worlds somewhere. Sounds like you need a large server after all.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#14 2020-04-21 15:26:35, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2020-04-21 15:36:28)

XxAtillaxX

If Xenonetix has a heart attack or something I'll publish an actual offline/LAN/whatever version of Everybody Edits.

I don't know which way Cercul is going about it but I have made Everybody Edits 0.8.0.0 work fully offline vis-a-vis homemade Player.IO server emulator. It took about 2 hours to make from near scratch. The current version of the game could possibly take a week or so to emulate the server fully, but wouldn't really be a monumental task, unlike attempting to clone the entire game and it's ****-code-bugs-as-a-feature in JavaScript.

I already released e large archive of worlds as well, but if anyone else wants to take up the task of exporting newer versions of worlds or missing worlds, they can go right ahead. I would highly suggest that they use Venture for it's built-in TSON support for database objects / arrays, which makes it fully possible to include the type information of the objects in a readable format and effectively re-import them into Player.IO. Magical, I know.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … FPijeP.mp4

signature.png
*u stinky*

#15 2020-04-21 15:45:29

Snowester

XxAtillaxX wrote:

I don't know which way Cercul is going about it but I have made Everybody Edits 0.8.0.0 work fully offline vis-a-vis homemade Player.IO server emulator.

Just a random thing but watching your MP4 give me a huge nostalgia vibe, the way the game used to look like, the block and the world holy crap.

#16 2020-04-21 18:17:44

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

skullz17 wrote:

This just sounds like fan maintained EE, but without accounts. A server just to allow multiplayer and uploading worlds would probably be small, but then you say you want to host a big database of all the worlds somewhere. Sounds like you need a large server after all.

Rather than an online Everybody Edits Offline (heh) it's much more important we get an archive for the eelvl files of all the worlds. Allowing the EEO client to directly download eelvl files would just be a bonus that simplifies the process.

#17 2020-04-21 21:03:45

peace

an simple version of EE on the web after its shut down is very nice

peace.png

Wooted by:

#18 2020-04-21 21:41:00

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

peace wrote:

is this simple enough for you?
lDcfNon.png

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#19 2020-04-21 23:22:34, last edited by N1KF (2020-04-21 23:23:15)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

TaskManager wrote:
peace wrote:

is this simple enough for you?
https://i.imgur.com/lDcfNon.png

Fun fact, I was actually using a 16x16 https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/a/ad/015_worker smiley icon for my demo (and am right now) but couldn't use it for the online demo since it's hosted separately on my computer. I looked around for a 16x16 smiley PNG icon but couldn't find one, so I remembered an old topic of mine and used a familiar face.

Now I have a tiled background and vertical movement!

#20 2020-04-28 00:06:19

XxAtillaxX

Well.

I have begun the project I mentioned previously in here, spent a few hours on it and had Jesse help out a bit. I've named the project EEmulator, and it will be open source in the near future.
We can now effectively emulate Player.IO servers and run the original Everybody Edits server game code (we have all of them) which means Everybody Edits can be played offline or through a LAN, or online if ports are forwarded.

In reality, this enables us to emulate any Player.IO game but I thought the name sounded cool. I recorded a demonstration video again with Everybody Edits v0.8.0.0 - but I will present a video of the current game version running on it once I hook up a couple more of the APIs. I'm taking a much needed break now because my **** hurts from sitting on a wooden chair working on this for the past 3 hours, please end my suffering.

https://streamable.com/v9uyu3

I also managed to break no arms in the process, which is handy. //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/wink

signature.png
*u stinky*

#21 2020-04-28 00:29:29

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Well.

I have begun the project I mentioned previously in here, spent a few hours on it and had Jesse help out a bit. I've named the project EEmulator, and it will be open source in the near future.
We can now effectively emulate Player.IO servers and run the original Everybody Edits server game code (we have all of them) which means Everybody Edits can be played offline or through a LAN, or online if ports are forwarded.

In reality, this enables us to emulate any Player.IO game but I thought the name sounded cool. I recorded a demonstration video again with Everybody Edits v0.8.0.0 - but I will present a video of the current game version running on it once I hook up a couple more of the APIs. I'm taking a much needed break now because my **** hurts from sitting on a wooden chair working on this for the past 3 hours, please end my suffering.

https://streamable.com/v9uyu3

I also managed to break no arms in the process, which is handy. //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/wink

#22 2020-04-28 08:57:36

peace

XxAtillaxX wrote:

my **** hurts from sitting on a wooden chair working on this for the past 3 hours, please end my suffering.

get anothe chair or some osrt of pillow your **** will love it it allows me to sit for much hours straight on this wooden chair playign games lmao

peace.png

peace1588060656780034

Board footer