Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-09-11 13:42:41

Joeyjoey65

Re: EE potential - What is actually EE

mutantdevle wrote:

The problem we have is that yellow inherently suggests white skin.

Block_jungle.png

Wooted by:

#27 2020-09-11 16:31:42

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Minimania wrote:

I can't say I've ever thought yellow "skin tone neutral" smileys seemed "white" to me. The idea of them being yellow to me suggests that they were meant to not be any race

That's because it's not intentionally exclusionary. Like with the plaster example I mentioned earlier - these things are just designed from the perspective of the creator of them being just creating something to match their version of normal. I don't think whoever designed the original smileys at facebook intended them to be tone neutral in terms of all skin tones there are in the world - neutral in terms of a neutral white skin tone? maybe. But they're definitely not inclusive of darker skin tones. We just don't noticed these issues because it just looks normal to us, I find it hard to believe anyone with darker skin will look at the smileys and say either "that represents me" or "that's a neutral skin tone". 'Generic light skin' might look neutral if you're white but 'generic lights skin' definitely isn't to anyone who doesn't have light skin. Going forwards, we could take the stance that "the yellow skin of the smileys is supposed to be neutral rather than white" - but I'd argue that is still white-centric and just an excuse to not make skin tone variants. I just think it would be more inclusive, diverse and fun to go through the effort of having skin tone be part of the smiley customiser.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#28 2020-09-11 19:58:03

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Is there really such an need to include all ethnicities in the world to a game.
Just make them all blue and call them smurfs. Problem solved.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#29 2020-09-11 20:58:24

Koya
Fabulous Member

Grey basic is the representative of EE

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Wooted by:

#30 2020-09-11 21:40:23

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

mutantdevle wrote:

'Generic light skin' might look neutral if you're white but 'generic lights skin' definitely isn't to anyone who doesn't have light skin.

The problem with this is that smileys currently need to be bright by their very design. Their eyes, mouth (excluding tongue/teeth), and inner outlines are darker than the rest of the smiley, giving the smiley contrast and making them easily recognizable at a glance. If you make smileys too dark then they simply aren't as recognizable. This is why dark smileys like https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/51/102_gingerbread and https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/b/b3/095_darkwizard have bright eyes, so would we take a similar approach here? Or should we just keep smiley colors above a certain "darkness threshold" as a stylistic choice?

Everybody Edits is Fred

#31 2020-09-11 23:28:41, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-09-12 02:09:54)

Minisaurus
Banned

(Done some research, go ahead to correct if something is wrong)

Yellow represent happiness and positiveness, that might be the reason societies accepted yellow to be used for smileys decades ago.
Facebook used that generic yellow color as people in general understand that color as the default color for smileys, EE copied those without doing changes because of the same reason.

Two reasons of why it is yellow:
- Because of what the color inspires emotionally.
- Using yellow has many benefits graphically and visually.

The eye is better seeing certain colors than others, that because of our cones, you can´t trick those. You can see more shades of green than shades of magenta for example. (Talking about the average human color sensitivity)
Eye color sensitivity:
CHWIbot.png
In addition to that, the screen you are using also affect the resultant color your eyes see, it is most likely your screen has a narrower color range than your eyes have.
shade of colors:
GYmHne3.png
You can see above how the color luminance affect the range of shades of colors your eyes are able to detect. Cyan handles better the shades of the darker range while Blue handles better the shades of the brighter range for example.
Color luminance:
gg-color-wheel-luminance-2.gif

EE uses yellow and orange for colors, you can´t use for example cyan and blue and expect the same result, it is really tricky.
You can´t just change the hue, you would need to make several adjustments as well.

Smiley hue-only changing test

It is much easier to get it right using yellow-orange, although you can make smileys of other colors, but mixing analogous colors (As the current basic yellow-to-orange smiley does) might be tricky because of the Luminosity in colors, it is easier to do them using a monochromatic palette, even so, the result might not be as fancy or interesting as than using an analogous palette.
Theory of color palettes:
OSgGk2r.png

(Partially) Monochromatic palette smiley color adjustments tests:
Analogous palette smiley color adjustments tests:
Wooted by: (4)

#32 2020-09-12 11:45:19

theoldinese

the heck is this. why do you care this much

Wooted by: (2)

#33 2020-09-12 13:24:02

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Minisaurus wrote:

(Done some research, go ahead to correct if something is wrong)

Yellow represent happiness and positiveness, that might be the reason societies accepted yellow to be used for smileys decades ago.
Facebook used that generic yellow color as people in general understand that color as the default color for smileys, EE copied those without doing changes because of the same reason.

Two reasons of why it is yellow:
- Because of what the color inspires emotionally.
- Using yellow has many benefits graphically and visually.

The eye is better seeing certain colors than others, that because of our cones, you can´t trick those. You can see more shades of green than shades of magenta for example. (Talking about the average human color sensitivity)
Eye color sensitivity:
https://i.imgur.com/CHWIbot.png
In addition to that, the screen you are using also affect the resultant color your eyes see, it is most likely your screen has a narrower color range than your eyes have.
shade of colors:
https://i.imgur.com/GYmHne3.png
You can see above how the color luminance affect the range of shades of colors your eyes are able to detect. Cyan handles better the shades of the darker range while Blue handles better the shades of the brighter range for example.
Color luminance:
http://www.workwithcolor.com/gg-color-w … ance-2.gif

EE uses yellow and orange for colors, you can´t use for example cyan and blue and expect the same result, it is really tricky.
You can´t just change the hue, you would need to make several adjustments as well.

Smiley hue-only changing test

It is much easier to get it right using yellow-orange, although you can make smileys of other colors, but mixing analogous colors (As the current basic yellow-to-orange smiley does) might be tricky because of the Luminosity in colors, it is easier to do them using a monochromatic palette, even so, the result might not be as fancy or interesting as than using an analogous palette.
Theory of color palettes:
https://i.imgur.com/OSgGk2r.png

(Partially) Monochromatic palette smiley color adjustments tests:
Analogous palette smiley color adjustments tests:

*Color blind people left the thread*

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (2)

#34 2020-09-18 20:32:20

Snowester

TaskManager wrote:

*Color blind people left the thread*

big image

I'll take offence to this.

#35 2020-09-18 20:34:38

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

What is actually EE

At this point I consider EE a Tardigrade.
The name Tardigradum means "slow walker" and was given by Lazzaro Spallanzani in 1777.
It can go without players or money for more than 30 years, Depending on the environment, EE may enter this state via anhydrobiosis, cryobiosis, osmobiosis, or anoxybiosis

32ortonedge32dh.gif

Wooted by:
32OrtonEdge32dh1600457678784818

Board footer