Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-12-21 23:01:19

Master1

Re: EE Minecraft Server

Tako wrote:

So far:
3 people strongly want mods
4 think vanilla is fine (neutral-ish)
4 strongly don't want mods

Add me to the strongly don't want mods list pls

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

Wooted by:

#27 2015-12-21 23:12:23, last edited by Tako (2015-12-21 23:20:23)

Tako
Website

A few things:

1. Does anyone have a suggestion for a server host? Realms is an option but the cap is 10 players. 20 player cap on the whitelist.

2. If you feel strongly about plugins/mods, let me know what you think of these:
ClearLagg
Multiverse Core (See point 3)
ChestShop
AntiCheat+
AdminEssentials

3. To those of you who are bored with vanilla (and those who oppose mods): how do you feel about a separate world with custom world generation, such as Skylands, amplified, etc?

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#28 2015-12-21 23:13:55, last edited by Tako (2015-12-21 23:18:03)

Tako
Website

Master1 wrote:

Add me to the strongly don't want mods list pls

You still haven't done the application.

Updated numbers:
4 In favor
5 Neutral
4 Opposed to mods (5 with Master1)

The "neutral" people don't need mods but also didn't mention "needing" vanilla.

#29 2015-12-21 23:30:28

Anch

Tako wrote:

A few things:

1. Does anyone have a suggestion for a server host? Realms is an option but the cap is 10 players. 20 player cap on the whitelist.

2. If you feel strongly about plugins/mods, let me know what you think of these:
ClearLagg
ChestShop
AntiCheat+
AdminEssentials

3. To those of you who are bored with vanilla (and those who oppose mods): how do you feel about a separate world with custom world generation, such as Skylands, amplified, etc?

I think an amplified server would be really cool to play in.

Wooted by:

#30 2015-12-22 00:42:44

Pingohits
Banned

Tako wrote:

A few things:

ClearLagg
ChestShop
AntiCheat+
AdminEssentials

all of these are very good, but i personally dislike ChestShop since it doesn't feel natural

791mAP8.png

#31 2015-12-22 01:17:46

Tako
Website

Pingohits wrote:

all of these are very good, but i personally dislike ChestShop since it doesn't feel natural

Yeah it is a little hacky. I just thought it would be useful to be able to trade with people when they're not online. You know, encouraging interactions with each other instead of running off into the hills to live by yourself.

Wooted by:

#32 2015-12-22 01:26:16

a3person
Website

Tako wrote:

Custom world gen without mods wouldn't really keep me playing unless it was featured rich world filled with dungeons with cool loot and custom mobs and schtuff. But then that'd be more of an adventure map. I wouldn't mind a vanilla adventure map though.

I'm in love with a dragon <3

forumsignature_by_a3person-db1n7ec.png

#33 2015-12-22 01:45:04

andsrt500

filled out the form

That was the most stupidest thing I have seen -prodigy5996
ROAD TO 1000 POSTS:
600---700---800---900---1000
Last edited by Everybody_Edits (Jan 33 3333 3:33:37 pm)

#34 2015-12-22 14:05:33, last edited by Tako (2015-12-22 14:22:52)

Tako
Website

a3person wrote:

Custom world gen without mods wouldn't really keep me playing unless it was featured rich world filled with dungeons with cool loot and custom mobs and schtuff. But then that'd be more of an adventure map. I wouldn't mind a vanilla adventure map though.

No, an adventure map wouldn't really work out. That's entirely different from a vanilla sever and most modded servers.

One of the two parties has to change their mindset because a server can't be simple and complex or new and classic at the same time. I feel as though no matter how creative I get with vanilla, you're going to compare it to these incredibly expansive mods and it'll pale in comparison.

So if you think you are in the right, and that modded servers are superior to vanilla servers, please give us some reasons why. Or, at the very least, some ideas for compromises. Otherwise I will have to go with the majority on this, which is currently in favor of vanilla.

I'll go ahead and list some problems I have with mods. For one, I think it's a slippery slope. If you're not entertained by the plethora of features vanilla Minecraft contains, why would mods be any different? You love them at first but get bored of the novelty fairly quickly. That's why they all come with 10 dozen blocks now, and you'd be crazy not to download an entire mod pack instead of just one.

We've already mentioned the negative effect it has on people's memory/processors. It's an obvious drawback.

Another problem is that when you have a lot of new options and mechanics, you begin to feel overwhelmed. Not because you can't memorize them all (which most people can't), but because for every task there is now 10 ways  to do it. Simplicity is not a bad thing. In fact, I would say simplicity and limitation give rise to new ideas.

#35 2015-12-22 16:08:51

Master1

Just completed the form.

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

Wooted by:

#36 2015-12-22 16:12:37, last edited by Onjit (2015-12-22 16:14:15)

Onjit
Website

e2e098e005.png
tfw +10 isn't supported //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/sad

I'm interested in joining, do you want me to just PM my answers to the other questions?

:.|:;

Wooted by:

#37 2015-12-22 17:29:23

Anak

Tako wrote:

ClearLagg
ChestShop
AntiCheat+
AdminEssentials

I don't mind as long as I don't have to download anything myself. If I do, this is goign to be the only server I'll use it for, so there isn't much point.

Separate worlds are cool

Wooted by: (2)

#38 2015-12-22 21:18:03, last edited by a3person (2015-12-22 21:38:32)

a3person
Website

I do think I'm in the wrong because of the obvious computer limitation drawback, but Imma' try and argue it.

Tako wrote:

For one, I think it's a slippery slope. If you're not entertained by the plethora of features vanilla Minecraft contains, why would mods be any different? You love them at first but get bored of the novelty fairly quickly. That's why they all come with 10 dozen blocks now, and you'd be crazy not to download an entire mod pack instead of just one.

For veteran players who've played Minecraft for over 3 years you're bound to get bored of vanilla servers, like pure vanilla with barely no plugins and that's where I stand. We were once entertained by the many features that vanilla Minecraft contained, but at the rate Mojang updates this game there's time to get bored of them.

Mods would make a big difference since it adds new content making it more time consuming to reach end game. I'm usually the type of player to reach end game as soon as possible but with modpacks that'll probably take 20 hours compared to vanilla which can take about 4 hours.

But there are other types of players too like the builders, but they too can benefit from mods that add more decoration blocks like Chisel 2, BiblioCraft, and DecoCraft to help spice up there builds. I personally don't like building in survival mode, or even creative mode if the WorldEdit plugin isn't present.

Novelty wise a singular mod would get tiring pretty quickly (unless its a big mod with tons of features) or an entire modpack like you said. I feel like the novelty of these modpacks would degrade at a slower pace than that of vanilla Minecraft.

Tako wrote:

We've already mentioned the negative effect it has on people's memory/processors. It's an obvious drawback.

Since this is a drawback we would have to be picky with mods we'd like to add. The modding community has tried to do some optimizing and came up with FastCraft which helps run modpacks faster.

Tako wrote:

Another problem is that when you have a lot of new options and mechanics, you begin to feel overwhelmed. Not because you can't memorize them all (which most people can't), but because for every task there is now 10 ways  to do it. Simplicity is not a bad thing. In fact, I would say simplicity and limitation give rise to new ideas.

They have mods that relieve how overwhelmed you'd feel about all the new crafting recipes and different machines. It's been a pretty standard mod for most, if not all modpacks. It's called NotEnoughItems and basically you can look up all the recipes for any block/item you want and what they'd make if you put it in X machine. Personally I like having more than one option since you could be unlucky in finding a certain resource so you'd have more options to cater to your needs. I'm not sure what limitation and new ideas have to do with the server soz no comment.

Tako wrote:

ClearLagg
ChestShop
AntiCheat+
AdminEssentials

Could I suggest a few plugins like MCMMO (adds skills you can level like Mining, Fishing, Farming, etc.) and CraftBook (very customizable plugin that allows custom crafting recipes, bridges, gates, elevators, chairs, etc.), and Essentials.

#39 2015-12-22 23:09:45

Tako
Website

Onjit wrote:

e2e098e005.png
tfw +10 isn't supported //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/sad

I'm interested in joining, do you want me to just PM my answers to the other questions?

Yeah xJeex pointed this out to me too. I'll adjust it.

At first I thought "people in Australia/etc. wouldn't ever be on at the same time" but after drawing out the time differences it's actually not that bad. If you only play after 6 PM / 18:00 then it would be a problem because at that point it's 2 AM in the States.

#40 2015-12-22 23:15:49

Evilbunny

I don't want any gameplay changing mods. Not even anti-theft stuff, I think we can all trust each other.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#41 2015-12-23 00:29:13, last edited by Tako (2015-12-23 02:27:29)

Tako
Website

a3person wrote:

I do think I'm in the wrong because of the obvious computer limitation drawback, but Imma' try and argue it.

Tako wrote:

For one, I think it's a slippery slope. If you're not entertained by the plethora of features vanilla Minecraft contains, why would mods be any different? You love them at first but get bored of the novelty fairly quickly. That's why they all come with 10 dozen blocks now, and you'd be crazy not to download an entire mod pack instead of just one.

For veteran players who've played Minecraft for over 3 years you're bound to get bored of vanilla servers, like pure vanilla with barely no plugins and that's where I stand.

On the contrary, the more experienced applicants (thusfar) are either neutral or against mods. You're the only one with 4-5 years experience and an inclination to get bored with vanilla. I see your logic but in reality I don't think that's the case. At least, in this community.

a3person wrote:

We were once entertained by the many features that vanilla Minecraft contained, but at the rate Mojang updates this game there's time to get bored of them.

Mods would make a big difference since it adds new content making it more time consuming to reach end game. I'm usually the type of player to reach end game as soon as possible but with modpacks that'll probably take 20 hours compared to vanilla which can take about 4 hours.

But there are other types of players too like the builders, but they too can benefit from mods that add more decoration blocks like Chisel 2, BiblioCraft, and DecoCraft to help spice up there builds. I personally don't like building in survival mode, or even creative mode if the WorldEdit plugin isn't present.

I think you've alluded to the real problem here. There are two main ways to play the game: from a creative perspective, or from a challenge perspective. While both aspects are what define Minecraft, I think it is inherently creative-oriented. "Adventure" aspects were thrown in to give variety and expand the playerbase, but it's not what Minecraft's about. So for that reason I think you're in the minority. I think you're looking for a different type of game; something that Minecraft naturally isn't. That's why you get bored of vanilla. And when I say minority, I mean in this context. It may be the case that vanilla-lovers are in the minority

Don't get me wrong, mods are usually awesome. I've both made servers and been on servers that were heavily modded. The experience was better in some ways, but without fail I end up longing for the simple and idle nature of vanilla.

a3person wrote:
Tako wrote:

Personally I like having more than one option since you could be unlucky in finding a certain resource so you'd have more options to cater to your needs. I'm not sure what limitation and new ideas have to do with the server soz no comment.

Limitations force you to think outside the box and when you do so it produces new things. It's not so much to do with the server as it is to do with the experience. With mods, you take away a big challenge in creative Minecraft.

a3person wrote:

Could I suggest a few plugins like MCMMO (adds skills you can level like Mining, Fishing, Farming, etc.) and CraftBook (very customizable plugin that allows custom crafting recipes, bridges, gates, elevators, chairs, etc.), and Essentials.

I'm familiar with MCMMO. It seems a bit pointless to me. It just makes the game easier.
CraftBook is a little too hacky, but something similar to it wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. Maybe something more realistic.
Essentials has a lot of useful things, such as nick, rules, motd, private messaging, suicide, whois, etc. The teleport ones are also too hacky. If I were to do Economy then I would use a plugin with more features.

--

All this being considered, I would personally not be opposed to a plugin that is natural-feeling (in terms of Minecraft, that is) and simple.

For example, BookShelf. I know it's not too exciting but that gives you an idea. If you can find something that appeals to you more and fits this constraint then I would be happy to consider it.

#42 2015-12-23 00:39:33

Anak

Tako wrote:
a3person wrote:

I'm familiar with MCMMO. It seems a bit pointless to me. It just makes the game easier.
CraftBook is a little too hacky, but something similar to it wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. Maybe something more realistic.
Essentials has a lot of useful things, such as nick, rules, motd, private messaging, suicide, whois, etc. The teleport ones are also too hacky. If I were to do Economy then I would use a plugin with more features.

--

All this being considered, I would personally not be opposed to a plugin that is natural-feeling (in terms of Minecraft, that is) and simple.

For example, BookShelf. I know it's not too exciting but that gives you an idea. If you can find something that appeals to you more and fits this constraint then I would be happy to consider it.

You could just disable the telport commands (there is teleport in normal Minecraft anyways)

Also thank you! I didn't actually know the bookshelf thing was a plugin, I've been missing that for ages from an old server.

#43 2015-12-23 02:26:08

Tako
Website

Anak wrote:

You could just disable the telport commands (there is teleport in normal Minecraft anyways)

Yes of course I'd have to meddle with the permissions file.

#44 2015-12-23 02:30:12

Tako
Website

I'm considering BisectHosting for our server. For less than $9/mo. we can get 3GB of RAM and 15 slots on a Bukkit server. That's best best I've seen thusfar. 3GB is more than double what we need and it's cheaper than most other plans.

If anyone has a better idea then I'm all ears.

#45 2015-12-23 04:18:15

a3person
Website

Tako wrote:

On the contrary, the more experienced applicants (thusfar) are either neutral or against mods. You're the only one with 4-5 years experience and an inclination to get bored with vanilla. I see your logic but in reality I don't think that's the case. At least, in this community.

Intrestring...that's akward...

Tako wrote:

I think you've alluded to the real problem here. There are two main ways to play the game: from a creative perspective, or from a challenge perspective. While both aspects are what define Minecraft, I think it is inherently creative-oriented. "Adventure" aspects were thrown in to give variety and expand the playerbase, but it's not what Minecraft's about. So for that reason I think you're in the minority. I think you're looking for a different type of game; something that Minecraft naturally isn't. That's why you get bored of vanilla. And when I say minority, I mean in this context. It may be the case that vanilla-lovers are in the minority

Don't get me wrong, mods are usually awesome. I've both made servers and been on servers that were heavily modded. The experience was better in some ways, but without fail I end up longing for the simple and idle nature of vanilla.

Intrestring... so would you consider a multiverse world for creative mode for those who like to build maybe with the WorldEdit plugin (or not, I'm a lazy builder who uses WorldEdit).

Tako wrote:

--

CraftBook is hacky? I've never heard of that, but I trust you have more experience with the plugin than me. An economy would be awesome. It'd be amazing if the economy was solely ran by the players, server shops would be nice too if we can't get a player run economy.

#46 2015-12-23 14:12:04, last edited by Tako (2015-12-23 14:17:03)

Tako
Website

a3person wrote:

Intrestring... so would you consider a multiverse world for creative mode for those who like to build maybe with the WorldEdit plugin (or not, I'm a lazy builder who uses WorldEdit).

Yeah if there was enough interest I wouldn't mind that at all. I'm just leery to divide the server in half, especially since we don't have a ton of people. It's very unlikely that both worlds would be equally popular, so one would get deserted.

a3person wrote:

CraftBook is hacky? I've never heard of that, but I trust you have more experience with the plugin than me. An economy would be awesome. It'd be amazing if the economy was solely ran by the players, server shops would be nice too if we can't get a player run economy.

Well, I watched a video. Some unrealistic things I saw were teleporters, bridges/doors/gates that spawn out of nowhere, command signs, a sign that changes redstone torch to normal torch (??), region deletors, etc.

#47 2015-12-23 16:46:20, last edited by Zumza (2015-12-23 16:47:22)

Zumza

Will it be compatible with Minecraft Pocket Edition(is the official client for mobile devices) ?

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#48 2015-12-23 18:32:38

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

I completed the form.

gLjTZE1.png

#49 2015-12-23 22:41:08

Tako
Website

Zumza wrote:

Will it be compatible with Minecraft Pocket Edition(is the official client for mobile devices) ?

From what I've seen, pocket servers and PC servers aren't compatible. Every website offers an option for PC and an option for Pocket, never both. But if you can find a host that does (I can't), I would be more than happy to consider it.

#50 2015-12-24 01:38:38

ttskate53

Filled out an application.

Tako1455860854583963

Board footer