Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-06 21:02:21

Different55
Forum Admin

Friendly reminder: spambots are not for talking to

They won't respond and it only makes a bigger mess so replies to spambots usually get warnings.

Thank you have a nice day.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#2 2018-04-06 21:29:59

Joeyc

Re: Friendly reminder: spambots are not for talking to

Different55 wrote:

They won't respond and it only makes a bigger mess so replies to spambots usually get warnings.

Thank you for this topic, i will never do such a thing. btw i didn't know this was a rule until now

#3 2018-04-06 22:03:41, last edited by RailMat (2018-04-06 22:07:16)

RailMat
Formerly MatthijsFidder

Different55 wrote:

I saw a topic but I reported it twice because I was almost forget that it was a graveyard topic.

EDIT: I'll never reply on a spambot topic.

#4 2018-04-06 22:21:52

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

does the issue really require a topic in forum business
just hand out 0-point warnings or whatever for people that do it for the first time

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#5 2018-04-06 23:49:31

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Diff, you gave a rational reason a while back for not replying to spam threads.

Is that still true? As it only applies to raids, it's still hard to justify banning players for something so trivial.

Will a newb see the thread and get scammed trying to buy a passport? Will players quit the forums because they find spam threads unacceptable? Does it highlight your inability to keep bots out of the site? Will the sight of a spam thread at the top of the list trigger you terribly? Is it your desire to suck all the joy out of living souls?

Bans could be warranted if players' replies kept a NSFW spam thread active. That's justifiable, but these "cheap visa passport driving license" topics are harmless.

--

Also you really gotta do a better job teaching new (and old) people the rules. Put them on the registration page or something... I signed up in Feb 2015 and didn't know about minimodding until I got warned for it in Sep 2015.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#6 2018-04-07 00:53:33, last edited by Anak (2018-04-07 00:53:47)

Anak

Tomahawk wrote:

Also you really gotta do a better job teaching new (and old) people the rules. Put them on the registration page or something... I signed up in Feb 2015 and didn't know about minimodding until I got warned for it in Sep 2015.

Would certainly be nice to have a more comprehensive list. I completely forgot one word posts were considered spam, and what was deemed inappropriate on the forums

#7 2018-04-07 06:12:21, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2018-04-07 06:14:11)

XxAtillaxX

If the user is newly registered and posts a topic containing the words "passport" or "buy credit card" etc the system should issue an automatic IP ban.
I don't think most people here would post a topic about a passport, especially not a newly registered user. I'm getting my passport in 3 weeks from now, and I wouldn't even post a topic about it.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by: (3)

#8 2018-04-07 07:35:26

Different55
Forum Admin

Tomahawk wrote:

Diff, you gave a rational reason a while back for not replying to spam threads.

Is that still true? As it only applies to raids, it's still hard to justify banning players for something so trivial.

Will a newb see the thread and get scammed trying to buy a passport? Will players quit the forums because they find spam threads unacceptable? Does it highlight your inability to keep bots out of the site? Will the sight of a spam thread at the top of the list trigger you terribly? Is it your desire to suck all the joy out of living souls?

Bans could be warranted if players' replies kept a NSFW spam thread active. That's justifiable, but these "cheap visa passport driving license" topics are harmless.

--

All users since the beginning of the forums has had to acknowledge the rules before being allowed to register.

The reasons from the old topic are still valid, and apply to spambots as well. Although most of the passport and document-type bots only fire off a single topic before going into a coma.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

If the user is newly registered and posts a topic containing the words "passport" or "buy credit card" etc the system should issue an automatic IP ban.
I don't think most people here would post a topic about a passport, especially not a newly registered user. I'm getting my passport in 3 weeks from now, and I wouldn't even post a topic about it.

Such a feature already exists and is in place. Although it doesn't take registration date into account.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#9 2018-04-07 10:08:42

peace

how to find out it is a spambot?

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

Wooted by:

#10 2018-04-11 04:56:12

HeyNK

XxAtillaxX wrote:

passport

MODS

#11 2018-04-11 21:31:32

Joeyc

HeyNK wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

passport

MODS

i need an ee passport to pass the rEEboot borders? //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/sad

Joeyc1523478692702814

Board footer