Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-27 17:07:38

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Bans system revamp

Diff and I agree that the warnings/bans system can be improved.

I've read through a bunch of threads and made a list of problems and possible changes, but I want your input before I start planning a solution.

Think big if necessary. From minor tweaks to a complete overhaul - all options are on the table.

1. What does the current system do well?

2. What does it do badly?

3. What could be improved?

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#2 2019-02-27 17:19:30

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Re: Bans system revamp

Tomahawk wrote:

made a list of problems and possible changes

can we see the list because while trying to answer these 3 questions nothing comes to my mind

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:

#3 2019-02-27 17:27:58

MWstudios

I would add a major version of some warnings (major flame, major spam, major inappopriate)
The major spam could be used for spamming topics, and about the flaming... well, when someone creates a flaming topic?

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

#4 2019-02-27 18:30:31

Victoria
Formerly Koya556
Website

Tomahawk wrote:

Diff and I agree that the warnings/bans system can be improved.

I've read through a bunch of threads and made a list of problems and possible changes, but I want your input before I start planning a solution.

Think big if necessary. From minor tweaks to a complete overhaul - all options are on the table.

1. What does the current system do well?

2. What does it do badly?

3. What could be improved?

be improved but what i do ban?

Yan Joshua knows as Nightmore, 7kudmath, Ygor Matheus, Kogor, Koya and RQ aka ~
I'm a professional artist, talented in various art forms, and also a programmer.
I had been playing Everybody Edits for four years ago. ~
Learning English and Japanese, Portugal ~
Native Portuguese speaker, fluent ~
20 years old, April 5, 2003. ~
He/Him ~

Contact information:
Discord: Kenny 💀#0578
In-game: 7KUDMATH
Xbox: YanJoshuaRQ
Steam: YanJoshuaRQ

#5 2019-02-27 18:38:08

mikelolsuperman
Website

1: It gets rid of bad people that post bad stuff and are annoying
2: It also bans me
3: Don't ban me

Actually idk, but if you want to implement a rule that I shall not be banned please do.

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#6 2019-02-27 19:54:41

Luka504

Personally, I don't really have an issue with the ban system in it's current state. It's fair and reasonable.
But, I'm also a goody-two-shoes that hasn't been warned/banned in a long while, so my thoughts about a system that doesn't really affect me probably aren't as valuable as someone else's.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by:

#7 2019-02-27 20:45:02

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

hi i have been recently warned (twice) and i think that ban system in it's current state is fair and reasonable
my thoughts are more valuable than luka's because the system affected me //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/cool

i8SwC8p.png

#8 2019-02-28 02:25:29

Ratburntro44
Website

don't ban people for executing coups on the forum administration. this is a very important issue to me personally both in the past and moving forward

besides that, what i've posted before for consideration:
instead of ban length being based on the warning level when a new warning is received, have a user be banned whenever their warning level is above a certain amount
this leaves more leeway in measuring severity through when the warning expires
eg, say the threshold is 12 points and someone is at 11. they do something minor which definitely deserves a warning but not an especially long ban. you can give them a 1 point warning which expires in a week, and the effect will be that they're banned for a week. whereas in the current system giving them any warning at all might equally result in a one month ban, no matter what the nature of the specific infraction is

#9 2019-02-28 03:30:42

mikelolsuperman
Website

Ratburntro44 wrote:

don't ban people for executing coups on the forum administration. this is a very important issue to me personally both in the past and moving forward

instead of ban length being based on the warning level when a new warning is received, have a user be banned whenever their warning level is above a certain amount
eg, say the threshold is 12 points and someone is at 11. they do something minor which definitely deserves a warning but not an especially long ban. you can give them a 1 point warning which expires in a week, and the effect will be that they're banned for a week. whereas in the current system giving them any warning at all might equally result in a one month ban, no matter what the nature of the specific infraction is

Yeah it's broken like you said. If you do something worth like 5 points you get a 1 day ban, but if you have lots of points already and you get warned for spam (minor) you have a month long ban for a double post or whatever.

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#10 2019-02-28 05:17:48

Different55
Forum Admin

Ratburntro44 wrote:

What happens if you get 12 warnings? Would warnings then stack on each other? Yesterday I went through warning someone like 28 times and I stopped after like the 6th warning because at that point the new warnings weren't adding any length and would be expired before he ever felt their effects.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#11 2019-02-28 06:02:49

mikelolsuperman
Website

Different55 wrote:
Ratburntro44 wrote:

What happens if you get 12 warnings? Would warnings then stack on each other? Yesterday I went through warning someone like 28 times and I stopped after like the 6th warning because at that point the new warnings weren't adding any length and would be expired before he ever felt their effects.

If someone gets a lot of small warnings just make a bigger version of that warning with a longer ban period. For example spam (minor) would give you a 1 day ban after a few times but if you have a lot of minor spam warnings in 1 single day it should just be something new like mass spam or whatever. It'd also be longer ban.

BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

#12 2019-02-28 12:57:43

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Different55 wrote:

because at that point the new warnings weren't adding any length and would be expired before he ever felt their effects

Perhaps freeze the warning expiration for the period someone is banned
So like, if you have a warning that expires in 30 days, while you're banned that count doesn't go down
This would mean people banned for longer periods of time wouldn't come back with their warning feed nice and clean

i8SwC8p.png

#13 2019-03-01 15:19:13

Anatoly

1. Actually, everything.
2. People get long bans only because they have a minor warning, which is simply said, wrong.
3. The major warnings should stay by duration and system, the minor warnings should be removed. The penalty time should be decreased.

#14 2019-03-01 21:41:55

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Here's some problems I've read and come up with:

1. Minor offences can cause large bans due to previous unrelated offences.

2. Failure to moderate promptly can cause a player to receive multiple warnings (and therefore a large ban) for repeat-offences once a mod comes online. The repeat offences could have been prevented by a single warning the first time a rule was broken. (New users often break rules unintentionally so need extra guidance, not a ban.)

3. The moderator's judgement is not affected by knowledge of the previous offences of the player being warned. (This is also a good thing. I can't decide if it's more good or more bad.)

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#15 2019-03-01 22:30:59

peace

i have some problems i think it genraly shouldnt wanr you too easy for spam minor weven though it maby is alos some warning types genraly the ones from 3 points take up liek ~6 months to go away the fact that at 3 points you get an day ban is okay but not if its for a little spam minor you made 4 months after that 3 point warning you coudl maby make it so that the poitns of a warnign decrease oer time so that at 3 months its at 1.5 points (2 you may round up if oyu want its ok) an dmaby combine some spam minors into an bigger warning so you dont have randomly spam minor wanirns scattering around expirecing at diffrent times also this seems a nice place to complain about my last recenlty warning that cased an week ban simply because i did not rly knew it was aigenst the rules or that it would cause an full garbage warning maby an option in your post to select if youre not sure if the post is against the rules but that you still want to post it then if it is against the rules give a 0 point warning explaining it is against the rules and/or remvoe the post alos i woudl like to give banne dusers more capacity let them read centrain subforums/topics that may be important for th egame for example gam ebussines is a n very important subfourm giving information about th egame basically if youre a jerk on thefourms you may not know important gamenews now i would allow banned users to read:
1. game bussines because it has all important stuff
2. ee staff created topics  outside game bussinness wihc may have important stuff
3. contest topics either official or unofficial if ur banne don rforums ur basically lcoked out of an ee contest while you may have not broke an rule of the ontest maby even allow us to post in these topics (with some limitions maby)
4. let ususe pm system to weither pm you abotu our ban/warning (im nnot sure if the email is real and uptodate and actualy used by you diff) and let us pm ee staff about issues
5. i woudl loove to be able to read all as i broke the ruels of posting not reading th efourms but i understand that you dont allow that so maby allow us to rwead our subscribled topics

alos i owudl love to say that this system is kinda meh because you post something while you may hav enot th eintention to flame but you see it as flaming warn me an dinst abanned withou me even bein able to A go to the post to see what did i post what was the topic ect and B let alone learn something because i insta get pusnished wihtout me being abkle to say sorry or say anything

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#16 2019-03-02 01:28:24

Freckleface

As long as you make it so minor spam doesnt give month long bans I'll be happy

F

Wooted by: (3)

#17 2019-03-02 11:18:16

peace

^this becuase this is ridiculos i didnt got one so far but i could imagine somoen getting one i mean i dont go to jail for keep stealing chcocolat ebars

peace.png

#18 2019-03-02 19:03:42

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

I was banned for meanie words even though i put it in a content warning //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/sad

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by: (2)

#19 2019-03-02 20:16:29

peace

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

I was banned for meanie words even though i put it in a content warning //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/sad

see this is kidna liek oyu think you do the righ tbut still get punished wihout you can even say sorry or something

peace.png

#20 2019-03-02 21:12:18

Snowester

peace wrote:

a tornado of nubuage

I don't understand nubuage, can anyone translate it to me or perhaps make a shorter summary?

Wooted by:

#21 2019-03-02 23:10:44

Ratburntro44
Website

Different55 wrote:
Ratburntro44 wrote:

under that system, if all the warnings expire at the same time (and there are no others expiring beforehand) then it would make no difference beyond the ban level
of course moderators have discretion in choosing how exactly to assign warnings

#22 2019-03-03 11:28:29, last edited by peace (2019-03-03 11:29:10)

peace

warnigns form 3 points coudl take half of a year to expire that a bit long since oyu then instantly get a day ban for a small spam minor

EDIT thi sbrings me to an idea: make centrains warnings  lik spam minor not banable but still add to warning level

peace.png

#23 2019-03-09 02:25:50

HeyNK

Ratburntro44 wrote:

actually it is 3 months lol

HeyNK1552094750742161

Board footer