Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-15 16:27:57

Anatoly

Can robots think like humans if developed properly?

Hello and welcome to the discussion about robots, artificial intelligence, and the way they think? What do you think? Can AIes think like humans? To answer that question, let me present you all the popular material about that topic. To start understanding the questions, let's firstly understand, how our brain works: Neurones. A complex fast mechanism of hundred million little information control, thousand under million connections, if played al down together, a length of such a distance, that you can circle around the world many times! So neurones! The newest iPad - the iPad Pro - running on the graphic card A12X on a neural engine with five trillion 8-bit operations per second. Sounds like a lot to me! So..how does it contribute to the discussion? Everything improves and if you're a blender veteran you can tell us how the time rendering improved!

I think, it's possible to make robots think like humans! Let's go back to the origin: AIes already have shown art skills, they showed they almost can process the language naturally and recognise images! But can they human? We can make them act like a human, but can we make them a human?

Why am I saying "robots" instead of "AI"? Well, I'm talking about anything created by a humans' hands. Not specifically AI. According to the definitions (scroll down), there are 3 types of 'inteligent' systems: The AI (Artificial Intelligence), the ML (Machine Learning) and the DL (Deep Learning). If any of them would think like a human, that'd be great (or at least great for the debate here). But all of them are hardwares.

What is the similarity between a human and a robot? Both think? No. Both are organic? Argueable. But both are made out of atoms! I know this sounds crazy, but is a genetically grown clone of a human a robot? Or genetically grown parts of a human? Imagine a hybrid between hardware with software, and organic cables! Has feelings? Yes. The same way as humans have hormones these organic cables would represent the feelings. Can think? If a part of these hybrid would be made of brains neurones, I believe so! Is it a robot? By all definitions, it's properly said a hybrid, but it's intension being created was a robot, so yes! Question - can we grow a genetic brain? I believe so, as it's just a complex structure of molecules, of a DNA. Is it possible to create such a thing? Already.

So the question forms into "Is a hybrid of organic and metallic a robot?". I see some of you argue: "But hey, a human with a robot arm is not a robot!" I also don't call a person who is wearing a metal feat a robot! Question is about intension: He was born to be a human, but became a hybrid. Here we have an intension to create a robot with organic add-ons, so he was intended to be a hybrid, but also a robot. But, if going further, people already discuss for AIes to get the freedom of right, explaining it with the natural law.

Again, I think a hybrid of an organism and a metal hardware, which was made by a human with the intension to create a robot, is a robot. And before we start giving them knowledge and understanding and thinking, I think we all should accept that they are also life-deserving creatures, and for all who believe in god - these is a creation created by the human, but still, if it can feel, it should have the standard rights:

• It should not be discriminated.

• If developed humanful, it should have the right of secrets. (though I am not sure about that!!!)

• Even if someone has anything against it, personally I don't - a relationship between a robot and a human should be tolerated.

About the last point. Consider calling me however you want - but if there's a robot looking exactly like a female human, being better than a normal woman, I would rather marry a robot who will try to understand me than a woman having its' own interests.

But going back to the question - we're not about what threats they will do - questions is - can we do them?

Wooted by:

#2 2019-07-15 23:41:18

NoNK

Re: Can robots think like humans if developed properly?

nah humans are to complex to do i mean its hard enough creating them normally

Wooted by:

#3 2019-07-16 08:55:43

Gosha

Yes

Wooted by:

#4 2019-07-16 09:21:43

Yu

There will come a point where robots will develop self-building intelligence in an attempt to understand everything. They will far surpass us as humans. Many things about us are slow and primitive despite being the leading species, but robots will grow at an exponential rate far surpassing us. Their source of energy will be very rich and easy to obtain. They will be far more efficient in expending said energy. Rate of reproduction would be extreme, far far faster than human reproduction. Far more durable than humans. It's no contest.

Wooted by:

#5 2019-07-16 11:35:16

Anatoly

Yu wrote:

There will come a point where robots will develop self-building intelligence in an attempt to understand everything. They will far surpass us as humans. Many things about us are slow and primitive despite being the leading species, but robots will grow at an exponential rate far surpassing us. Their source of energy will be very rich and easy to obtain. They will be far more efficient in expending said energy. Rate of reproduction would be extreme, far far faster than human reproduction. Far more durable than humans. It's no contest.

That's true, but it doesn't answer the question. Indeed, humans are better, stronger, intelligenter, smarter, faster at the thing it is learned to. But! Will it still be a logical algorithm that overwrites, or will the machines actually be able to think like a human, have feelings, time to time act irrational, not always accept logic, but also fall in love?

#6 2019-07-16 11:38:51

Sensei1

I definitely think robots can be developed to be so similar to humans that we won't be able to see the difference anymore. However, this is not necessarily what we are going for, and actually it doesn't fully even answer the question in the title.

"Can robots think like humans" and "Can robots seem to think like humans" are very two different things imo. If robots really were to think like humans, they should feel similar things as we do. They should definitely get all the same human rights as well, since at that point they basically are humans.
If robots will only seem to be like humans, it gets a bit more difficult. They might not actually feel anything, but it definitely looks like they feel everything the same way as us. So in that case I think we would end up giving the human rights anyway, because the illusion is just so strong.

OK, that is if we were to create perfectly human-like robots. I don't think we will. We have a lot of humans on this planet, like a LOT. We have easier ways to make humans than building robots. The whole point of robots is that they have some sort of features that we do not. Some of these features could be:

- Robots could be smarter, stronger, faster
- Robots could work for us without ever getting tired or feeling bad
- Robots could only be programmed to have have "good" personalities (Which is definitely not as black and white as I'm making it sound here)

The last feature is the most interesting one. I kinda feel like that there are two sides to this AI thing. Firstly, we are trying to get new tools to make our lives easier. Secondly, we are trying to build new friends for ourselves. It would seem logical to make robots as smart and perfect as possible, but that is actually very inhuman and it would not make a good friend. It would also seem logical to make such robot friends, that they are always loyal to us and never get mad at us. I think this wouldn't work well either though. If someone is always acting nice to you the same way, doesn't it kinda feel like it doesn't have any personality?

This could be the biggest problem with these "friend robots". We don't really know what we want them to be. We don't really know how imperfect they should be. I atleast don't know, maybe someone else does.

#7 2019-07-16 12:10:21

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

If they can be programmed to have a "good" personality then it’s safe to assume that dictators like Xi Jinping would program them into becoming bloodthirsty warriors for the Chinese communist party, and the robots would massacre us puny flesh humans with their superior steel arms. Then we would all be slaves to dictators for all of eternity.
So let’s hope our technology doesn’t reach that level.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#8 2019-07-16 13:36:22

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

The concepts of "thought" and "consciousness" are yet to be researched thoroughly
but in general, yes they can

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#9 2019-07-16 20:01:38

Zumza

Heading back to present:

AI is not capable of acquiring skills on its own, each skill on itself is coded. All these intelligent AIs we have nowadays are able to "learn" on their own, but they can learn only what they were programmed to learn, and they learn only how they were programmed to learn.

Therefore, AI is incapable of true creativity, what AI does nowadays is to mimic creativity; AI cannot come with new solutions; AI cannot self-improve.

I don't believe we will be able to create an AI that can be more than just a muppet of humanity, they will be soulless machineries.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#10 2019-07-16 20:07:19

Processor

Zumza wrote:

they will be soulless machineries.

http://www.aspcr.com/index.html

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

#11 2019-07-21 10:46:55

Anatoly

Sensei1

This is true. Mostly. Especially the last point. We code them based on our logic, and it learns from what we teach it. And if we teach it to kill, it will. And here comes the problem: Earlier we had monarchy, people thought it was the best. Later on we had the aristocracy, people now thought this one is the best. Then dictatorship, and communism, now democracy. Point here is, if we code it to think for democracies, and later we find a better political system, the robot will think ‘old is good’. So, however we code the robot we will influence its’ ethics anyway.

#12 2019-07-21 20:44:17

bunglybongle

detriot became humans

bunglybongle1563738257755782

Board footer