Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-16 23:53:06, last edited by skullz17 (2020-05-17 01:02:50)

skullz17

How attached are you to EE?

There has been plenty of discussion about how to save EE/EEU, however, EEU is just an officially endorsed EE-like game. In terms of a spiritual successor to EE, there might be other options that do not carry the EE brand. By opening up to other options like these, we can leave EEU behind if we're not happy about the way it's run. However, I know some people want to preserve that special part of their childhood, and won't want to let go, so I was wondering, how attached are you guys to EE?

If an alternative EE-like game was developed that was not officially endorsed, would you consider playing it? It would not have the EE brand, and while some people from the EE community might move over, there is no guarantee that the community would look anything like this one. Also, would it matter to you whether that game was developed by someone from the EE community or not?

Personally, I have always been okay with dropping the EE brand, even for an officially endorsed game. I support the idea of making other EE-like games, because it creates competition, which should increase quality and gives the community more options. Currently, the EE-like genre is monopolized. People aren't too happy about the person at the top but don't have the power to do anything about it. I think having alternatives is a potential solution to the issue, but it depends on how much people value the preservation of the EE brand which they're so nostalgic about, or if they just want a new EE-like game that isn't dead.

Clarification of what I mean by EE-like game:

To be clear, when I say EE-like game I'm not referring to so called "EE remakes". Correct me if I'm wrong, but those usually take assets from EE which might be problematic if you are trying to make an actual profitable game and not just a community project. EEW has the same problem except it takes from EEU.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by: (4)

#2 2020-05-17 00:33:47

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Re: How attached are you to EE?

im not attached to the game at all
im only attached to the community

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:

rat

#3 2020-05-17 00:38:00, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2020-05-17 00:39:00)

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

i never understood why nobody edits died. it was the perfect alternative to a chaotic mess that hadn't fully unfolded and showed signs of deterioration ever since day one.
as it stands, NE (nobody edits) died since there was never a large enough audience to warrant caring about ("died" quite literally - tl;dr, the servers turned off and the owners don't have the time to turn the servers back on). Everybody Edits Worlds gained a seemingly larger audience, perhaps only due to its timing in correlation with recent events.

i don't think there will be an "EE remake" to put a steak in EE/U's popularity. EE/U is official. you just can't beat that kind of backing.

do your due diligence. Join the Nobody Edit's Discord, and beg them to get the servers back online (just join and send "please turn the servers back on" or something). perhaps things could be different this time around.

Wooted by:

rat

#4 2020-05-17 01:01:25

skullz17

To be clear, when I say EE-like game I'm not referring to so called "EE remakes". Correct me if I'm wrong, but those usually take assets from EE which might be problematic if you are trying to make an actual profitable game and not just a community project. EEW has the same problem except it takes from EEU.

EEU might be official but that only earns it the backing of the EE community. I'm talking about a separate project that markets itself to people outside the community as well. That's why I mentioned that the community might be entirely different.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#5 2020-05-17 01:22:48

Kira

Like a siamese

#6 2020-05-17 01:25:55

Sensei1

I would play another game with a similar concept if it had many players. Games like mario maker or minecraft are cool but they're definitely missing something that EE has. There just aren't other games like EE, which is kinda sad because the concept is really great!

An official successor would have been fun because it would have been a new place for all the EE players, but I honestly think it's a bit too late for that now. There aren't many players left here...

I don't care that much about having a successor because pretty much all of my friends quit EE anyway.
But just imagining the idea of having a proper 2D sandbox game with similar features as EE gets me excited. I'd even be willing to help working on something like that if it was a thing made by the community. Though I have no idea if the community wants/can create something like that. Atilla keeps saying that a charity project like this is doomed to fail, and I think he has a point.

Oh and just to clarify, a completely new game unrelated to the EE brand is a better idea imo. EE has a lot of problems, and it's just extra work trying to get rid of those while trying to be a sequel. EEU has progressed really slowly, and I personally don't like where it's heading, even if it was heading there faster. That's just purely my personal opinion though.

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2020-05-17 01:42:03

SirJosh3917

skullz17 wrote:

"EE remakes"

i used the term loosely sorry. meant like the game, same concept, but completely different execution, like nobody edits.

#8 2020-05-17 01:45:00

skullz17

SirJosh wrote:
skullz17 wrote:

"EE remakes"

i used the term loosely sorry. meant like the game, same concept, but completely different execution, like nobody edits.

Did Nobody Edits not use any assets from EE?

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#9 2020-05-17 01:46:46, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2020-05-17 01:47:26)

SirJosh3917

skullz17 wrote:

Did Nobody Edits not use any assets from EE?

this is what the game looked like when it was online:

big image

image courtesy of watglan on the NE discord in #media

Wooted by:

#10 2020-05-17 06:01:23, last edited by N1KF (2020-05-17 06:02:15)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I'm glad users are talking about the meta purpose of EE. I've been thinking of this kinda thing. This is what I wrote back in April:

I've thought about this and maybe you're right. In my original post I was hesitant to address this because I stubbornly thought it should be self-explanatory that EE should continue and survive. But ultimately, how attached should I be to the Jumping Smiley Face Aesthetic? Is a legacy begun by uninspired Facebook and Mario graphics something to be attached to? I've taken a rather defensive response from "EE is dead" statements, which is probably because I consider this community my "home" of the internet that has remained pretty much the same for over 8 years.

I don't really mind if the EE series ends as long as it gets the proper sendoff. You're probably getting tired of me saying this but make a wonderful version of EE Offline that's extremely customizable and works in a web browser. Maybe even rework EE content and publish it as a traditional platforming game if they're willing to take the risk. That said, even if EEU flops I do hope there's a future to the brand. I would love to see things like animated web shorts or collectibles for the hardcore smiley face game fans.

If there is new competition to EE, I think the fundamentals of its gameplay can be improved a lot. Consider every piece of EE and how other games do it better. The hints of success are all there: gravity based 2-D platformer? Look at VVVVVV and the 2-D sections in Super Mario Odyssey for inspiration. Fast-paced 2-D platformer? Look at Sonic the Hedgehog and the games it inspired. 2-D platforming level editor? Geometry Dash, Super Mario Maker. MMO 2-D level editor? Growtopia. Online games that can be quickly played and shared? See Agar.io and similar games. With the right execution this could become a massive success.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2020-05-17 10:27:19

peace

im not sure anymore yets im attached becuas ei love the game but then agai i dont play it much anymore guess that will change hopfully fi EEU has cool stuff

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#12 2020-05-17 19:59:09

TundrumMax
Formerly Memomemo

I havent played EE in over a year or two

never before have I been so happy........ (:

I can speak by breathing in but it sounds like a dying horse

TundrumMax.png

Signature by HG

#13 2020-05-17 20:28:30

Minimania
Moderation Team

Attached with the finest sovereign glue in the world

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#14 2020-05-18 00:31:34

Cola1

I love EE but I'm pretty sure I've gone through the stages of grief over it already. Now all I do is look at my screenshot hoard occasionally, for a laugh.

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

#15 2020-05-18 00:44:29

skullz17

Cola1 wrote:

I love EE but I'm pretty sure I've gone through the stages of grief over it already. Now all I do is look at my screenshot hoard occasionally, for a laugh.

But we know that EE will die, so what would fill the void in your heart? Is it something that preserves the EE brand like EEU? Or would you be interested in a game that goes for a similar concept, but with a different style and most likely a very different community?

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#16 2020-05-18 01:58:12

Supernaturalist
Brand New Member

I haven’t been around for a really long time like lots of others, I joined in 2017, but I'm gonna miss EE, I think the community was a big part of that, and there's no way to save the community at this point
That's all I can think of to say, I don't have any solutions
Maybe having a really good offline version and then having an online site to share .eelvl files would be nice, and a community could potentially go there. Idk.

I've just deleted everything that was here and tried to think of something new about 5 times in the last minute but since I'm an actual idiot I can't think of anything good //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/big_smile

Wooted by:

#17 2020-05-18 04:55:20

Cola1

skullz17 wrote:

But we know that EE will die, so what would fill the void in your heart? Is it something that preserves the EE brand like EEU? Or would you be interested in a game that goes for a similar concept, but with a different style and most likely a very different community?

I don't think anything can replace it. The lack of a thriving community is what eventually put me off. I liked how lively and busy it always felt; when you finished up in one world there were a few other dozen worlds to explore. I could go from simple minigames with a silly story to watching people fight in haphazardly-built factory block mecha suits outside a McDonalds. Also, when I was younger and first found the game, the appeal really was that it was simply smileys and blocks. It made everything feel kinda weird and whimsical and often left me laughing in stitches for no real reason.

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

Cola11589774120781058

Board footer