Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-05 01:34:35

ByteArray

Why I'm leaving Everybody Edits...

Hey guys. This is going to be a big step for me, but it's time to officially announce that I'm stepping away from development on EE & EE Universe. And while this may come as a bit of a surprise, it's something that I've known would be coming for a while now.

Before getting into the reasoning behind the decision to step away, I'd like to discuss the current state of things with EEU. Most importantly on the development side, Niels & John have been making fantastic progress on the server rework, portal physics, UI, rendering and more. They seem to work well together at solving problems, and they've quickly adapted to the way things work in EEU. Xenonetix continues to assist with development as well, focusing on fine-tuning the physics. The game is in a good position to aim for a successful future as long as any potential concerns are addressed in regards to the player experience & building a cohesive game design.

Ever since I joined the staff in January 2018, it's been a massive learning experience. This has been the biggest project I've ever been involved with, and it's always pushed me to learn new skills & to adapt to all the crazy situations we've found ourselves in. From EE to EEU, I've been involved with so many different things with programming, UX/UI, graphics design, and much more. Working alongside everyone who's been involved with the project, we've pushed through finishing many tough updates late into the night, and fought together against the various waves of hacking. I greatly respect the efforts of everyone who I've had the opportunity to work with, and who have poured so much of their time and effort into the game.

Of course, this brings us to the question of why I'm stepping away. There are many factors in my decision, but the most significant involves how I've had to split my attention across separate projects over time. From the very beginning with Rotate, and time and time again with subsequent projects, I've constantly struggled with this. If I were to continue with EEU, I'd need to make the decision to make it my primary focus, but I can't really do that. There are so many ideas that I need the freedom to explore as I enter this next chapter of life, and as much as I want to see EEU be a success, it's not my game. I can't hold onto it so tightly that I hold everything else back, and it's not fair to this game either.

So it's best for me to step away from the game while it's in a good position for me to do so, before things get really crazy with the public release, and especially while I'm working towards my first Steam game release. I'm working on my most ambitious solo project yet, a unique hacking-themed puzzle game with intense storytelling, and it'll be my first full-size paid release. This is the next step on my game dev journey, and for this to work, I need to be able to dedicate myself to it completely.

But I don't want to leave the game in a difficult position, and that's why over the past few weeks I've been working towards completing all the remaining tasks that needed my help. I'll be finishing up the last few things over the next few days, including some preparation for the UI for world purchasing and the shop, that way the dev team can just hook things up and be good to go. And although I won't be actively contributing to the game going forward, I'll definitely remain available to help the dev team figure things out over this transitional period.

Before leaving this off, I want to thank everyone who's continued to support this project through all of the ups and downs. This project has gone through some very difficult times, and only time will tell how this will all shape the game's future. Ultimately game development is about making games for all of you to enjoy, and without you there wouldn't be much of a point. I can only hope that everything that has gone into EEU will pay off, and that we get to see it become a huge success in the future.

But my time on the project is coming to an end, and it's time to take this leap of faith to see what comes next.
- Joshua

former lead-dev on EE/EEU, 2018—2020
(aka Criobite, Joshua Stone, TechnoWolf99, & LightWolf)

#2 2020-07-05 02:51:41

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Re: Why I'm leaving Everybody Edits...

OOOOOOH
gg

so whose guess was the closest on this one?

by the way good luck to you and your brother kentiya
Game dev is a high risk & high reward choice if you dedicate your whole life to it and you'll definitely need some luck to achieve the success that you're striving for
Also don't forget to let us know once you're out there on Steam!

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#3 2020-07-05 04:28:35

Edilights
Website

Calm down with swearing (Mr. Taskmanager ) ...
Also . Good luck with next projects ! Try to improve the LWS . //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/big_smile

Wooted by: (3)

#4 2020-07-05 04:44:38

Minimania
Moderation Team

I wish you all the best, Mr. Stone

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by:

#5 2020-07-05 09:40:19

peace

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *4795479367596594 o's later* oooooooooo //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/sad //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/sad https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/3/31/007_crying you were a good dev but oh well you alos make good games such as rotate (make rotate 2 pls)

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

Wooted by:

#6 2020-07-05 11:45:32

Weirdoverse
Website

all devs are gone i told yall atleast a billion times its more worth it to port EE to html5 instead of creating a new game now EEU is gonna be released like early 3019

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

#7 2020-07-05 11:58:13, last edited by Nebula (2020-07-05 12:04:26)

Nebula

Well, the game seemed to be too good for you. Goodbye, former dev.

#8 2020-07-05 12:02:44

Snowester

Weirdoverse wrote:

all devs are gone i told yall atleast a billion times its more worth it to port EE to html5 instead of creating a new game now EEU is gonna be released like early 3019

John and Priddle are developers of the game... and Cercul1, we don't talk about him.

Wooted by: (2)

#9 2020-07-05 12:20:22

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Weirdoverse wrote:

ok gog100best youre very wise

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:

#10 2020-07-05 18:26:52

Weirdoverse
Website

TaskManager wrote:
Weirdoverse wrote:

ok gog100best youre very wise

lol, i got maxied

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

#11 2020-08-09 04:24:23

ByteArray

Alright, things are now officially wrapped up for me with EE & EEU. I've done some prep work for future updates (sidebar stats, world purchasing, the shop, etc.), left some notes and advice on certain topics, and had my developer roles & permissions revoked. I'll still be making myself available for development consultation for the time being, but my work on the game has officially come to an end.

It's been a wild ride, and I've learned a ton over these past couple of years. Thanks again to everyone who's supported the project along the way, and thanks again to Xenonetix for the opportunity to play my part in the story of Everybody Edits.

I'll see you around!
~ Joshua

#12 2020-08-09 04:34:01

Minimania
Moderation Team

Thank you for all of your hard work

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#13 2020-08-09 04:47:40

John

Thanks for all your contributions guys - you'll both be missed!

PW?scale=2

Wooted by:

#14 2020-08-09 06:13:43

AllenCaspe9510
Website

But then, what will you be doing right now?

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Wooted by:

#15 2020-08-09 10:22:23, last edited by peace (2020-08-09 10:22:43)

peace

//ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/sad

big F

peace.png

Wooted by:

rat

#16 2020-08-10 00:48:00

ByteArray

AllenCaspe9510 wrote:

But then, what will you be doing right now?

I'm getting more focused than ever on pursuing game development professionally, starting with my first paid release on Steam and such. It's a hacking game with lots of puzzles and an interesting story, and I'm hoping to be ready to launch the Steam page for wishlisting the game later this month. There will of course be a teaser trailer coming then, so keep an eye out for that! //ee.failforums.me/img/smilies/big_smile

Wooted by: (4)

#17 2020-08-10 09:25:44

peace

bytearaay you were a good dev for EE you wil b emissed then again you made solid games yourself such as rotate, speakign of which will there be an sequel? or somethign wihtt hat one unreachable door

peace.png

Wooted by:

#18 2020-08-11 16:55:17

ByteArray

peace wrote:

bytearaay you were a good dev for EE you wil b emissed then again you made solid games yourself such as rotate, speakign of which will there be an sequel? or somethign wihtt hat one unreachable door

I do expect to do more with Rotate at some point in the near future, but currently I'm going to be focusing on some other ideas I'm more interested in at the moment. Definitely lots of interesting ideas to explore when I do get back to the Rotate idea, though!

Wooted by:

#19 2020-09-04 10:00:23

Mariomaster

Well, that explains why I can't get into EEU. Stay safe out there.

Mariomaster1599210023784596

Board footer