Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-28 19:17:26

IanJanes

Who owns the data, and server for everybody edits?

I genuinely really miss this game and it's community, I'm fully interested in hosting the game on money out of my pocket if it's possible.

<Download this image and make it your avatar, repent from unique avatars!
3640.jpg?m=15483497583640.jpg?m=15483497583640.jpg?m=1548349758

#2 2021-11-28 20:28:34

chzandham

Re: Who owns the data, and server for everybody edits?

Even if you could, unless you're somehow able to host the game in a Flash player (which is probably really insecure), you would have to remake the entire game in HTML5 or something that would be supported.

tptD29P.png

Credits to Stubby For Making me this Signature!

#3 2021-11-28 20:35:22

IanJanes

chzandham wrote:

Even if you could, unless you're somehow able to host the game in a Flash player (which is probably really insecure), you would have to remake the entire game in HTML5 or something that would be supported.

When EE was still available on the website you could download a .exe file to play it, or load it on a flash player and play it; both of which had connectivity. I'm interested in using that as a solution.

#4 2021-11-28 21:14:42

XxAtillaxX

The intellectual property rights belong to GGRID and it cost around $85/m to run the servers on Player.IO, which was at a heavily discounted rate. You might be surprised to find that the community has, for the most part, moved on. When the game was months away from shutting down, there were barely any active players either.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#5 2021-11-28 21:19:22

IanJanes

XxAtillaxX wrote:

The intellectual property rights belong to GGRID and it cost around $85/m to run the servers on Player.IO, which was at a heavily discounted rate. You might be surprised to find that the community has, for the most part, moved on. When the game was months away from shutting down, there were barely any active players either.

Hell even if it wasn't discounted I would love to pay for it anyways.

#6 2021-11-28 21:26:36

XxAtillaxX

IanJanes wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

By all means, go right ahead.

qE89Llr.png

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by: (6)

#7 2021-11-29 12:07:35

theoldinese

ian (who messages within 10 minutes) after seeing the $2500 price: aight im heading out

#8 2021-11-29 23:11:36

chzandham

XxAtillaxX wrote:
IanJanes wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/qE89Llr.png

Judging by the fact that Ian has yet to respond to this I think it's safe to say he weaseled out.

This is funny.

Don't worry, guys! maybe someone will come up with the money in about a decade or so! A whole month to play Everybody Edits? Yes, please!

tptD29P.png

#9 2021-11-30 19:20:42

IanJanes

chzandham wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:
IanJanes wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

Judging by the fact that Ian has yet to respond to this I think it's safe to say he weaseled out.

This is funny.

Don't worry, guys! maybe someone will come up with the money in about a decade or so! A whole month to play Everybody Edits? Yes, please!

I'm not on the forums religiously, you guys are a little stuck up. That server cost is extremely inflated as well, it would definitely be easier to host it elsewhere or to fine a better plan. I'm still completely willing to do it.

#10 2021-11-30 19:31:15

LukeM
Website

IanJanes wrote:
chzandham wrote:

I'm not on the forums religiously, you guys are a little stuck up. That server cost is extremely inflated as well, it would definitely be easier to host it elsewhere or to fine a better plan. I'm still completely willing to do it.

Putting the game back online anywhere would just take an unreasonable amount of effort.

Firstly the client uses Flash, which has been discontinued for security reasons, so it would be unsafe to connect it to the internet without a complete rewrite of the client to some other technology like HTML5.

Secondly the server uses PlayerIO's libraries and services, so either you pay the $2.5k/month or also rewrite the entire server to use something that isn't PlayerIO.

And all this for maybe a handful of concurrent players if you're lucky. And once EE! comes out you'd just be splitting an already tiny community in half, which probably isn't the best idea. It's just not really worth it.

#11 2021-12-01 02:05:37

chzandham

IanJanes wrote:
chzandham wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:
IanJanes wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

This is funny.

It was just a prank, bro! The joke was as if we expected you to pay that much money for a game that people stopped playing much in the last few years of its life. If you want to find some way to do it cheaper, then by all means do it.

tptD29P.png

#12 2021-12-02 18:53:18

Gosha

the amount of effort which needs to be done for the flash version to be live with 3rd party server is tremendous:
1) you need to setup playerio server
2) you need to configure all of the playerio settings (and there are a lot of them)
3) you need to bring back all flash connection functionality
4) you need to write server code from scratch

And all this for a discontinued platform (flash) on which a dead game runs?

if you are willing to make such move and spend your time and money. I suggest making a remake.

sidenote: if muse didn't delete ee playerio entirely (and i don't have any reason to believe she did), she can enable online ee with few clicks.

#13 2021-12-02 23:22:35

luz

Gosha wrote:

the amount of effort which needs to be done for the flash version to be live with 3rd party server is tremendous:
1) you need to setup playerio server
2) you need to configure all of the playerio settings (and there are a lot of them)
3) you need to bring back all flash connection functionality
4) you need to write server code from scratch

And all this for a discontinued platform (flash) on which a dead game runs?

if you are willing to make such move and spend your time and money. I suggest making a remake.

sidenote: if muse didn't delete ee playerio entirely (and i don't have any reason to believe she did), she can enable online ee with few clicks.

oh **** its you! youre the funny russian coder goshanoob guy haha very cool

yeah

#14 2021-12-04 10:34:37

Gosha

lol hi

Gosha1638610477792104

Board footer