Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-18 23:35:53

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Suggestions to make old posts less confusing

As you may know, the current forum server we have now was created 2015 February, with most of the post data moved over from past two incarnations of the forums. Unfortunately, some things were wonkled up which haven't been fixed even now.

Problem: Dates are listed as February 2015 even when they're from before then, possibly misleading users into thinking that's when a post was made. (I've almost had that happen before.)
Solution: List the dates of old posts as "A long time ago", "Before the forum transfer", or something else general like that.

Problem: In one incarnation of the forums, Meredith and the admin user Cyclone were combined into a Frankenstein's Monster of a single account. This may mislead people into thinking Meredith made a lot of old important posts.
Solution: Show "Cyclone or Meredith" as the username instead. If possible, link the "Meredith" part of it to her profile page. Either that, or find a way to convert the older Cyclone posts to Cyclone, and the newer Meredith posts as Meredith.

Problem: Old accounts are listed as "Guest". That's weird.
Solution: List old accounts as "Unconverted Account" instead.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#2 2018-06-18 23:58:22

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: Suggestions to make old posts less confusing

N1KF wrote:

Solution: List the dates of old posts as "A long time ago", "Before the forum transfer", or something else general like that.

Sure yeah okay

N1KF wrote:

Solution: List old accounts as "Unconverted Account" instead.

Sure yeah something like that

N1KF wrote:

Solution: Show "Cyclone or Meredith" as the username instead. If possible, link the "Meredith" part of it to her profile page. Either that, or find a way to convert the older Cyclone posts to Cyclone, and the newer Meredith posts as Meredith.

Can't. There's no date saved so there's no way of telling "older" posts from "newer" ones. I do have a full copy of all the posts w/ date info from Atilla IIRC but I have yet to merge it with the current database.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2022-12-16 06:10:06

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

These problems are still around. I'm specifically concerned about the third one, which is that the admin Cyclone's posts are still falsely credited as Meredith after all these years. If the database is as simple as hummerz5's post in 2018 suggests it is, it looks simple to switch Meredith to "Cyclone or Meredith".

I noticed another problem with old posts, but I don't think it'll be helpful to pile more of my suggestions on you.

So, uh... you still active, Different? You can get more admins if you want.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#4 2023-01-02 23:58:29, last edited by Different55 (2023-01-03 05:34:36)

Different55
Forum Admin

In the year of our lord 2022 2023, I'm content leaving "Guest" as "Guest" since there's more than unconverted accounts using that label. The other two though can be done.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#5 2023-01-03 09:57:36

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Rejoice for He has returned. In His presence we are whole and in His light we are forgiven.

Expect his next post in early 2024.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#6 2023-01-09 22:13:38

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Different55 wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Sure yeah okay

Hot damn he actually did it.

madlad

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Tomahawk1673298818796977

Board footer